Thursday 23 November 2017

Gattaca essay (4ºD, B1B/C)



After watching Gattaca in Tutoría classes (and English), it´s time to work out an essay on it. It should be longer than the usual composition (no less than 250 words) and include the following points:

1. Character analysis: Description of the most important characters (Vincent, Jerome, Anton, Irene): their motivations, their evolution in the film, their strengths and weaknesses, etc.
2. A plot overview. Have a look at this quiz, it can help you to make up your summary.
3. Quote interpretation. (As usual, explain what is going on at this point of the plot and who is speaking or mentioned). Choose three of these:

a-"You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton: I never saved anything for the swim back".

b-"I got the better end of the deal. I only lent you my body. You lent me your dream".

c-" -How the hell did you get up here?
    -Oh, I could always walk... I've been faking it".

d-"They used to say that a child conceived in love has a greater chance of happiness. They don't say that anymore".

e-"Unacceptable risk of heart failure." I think that's what the manual says. The only trip I'll take in space is around the sun on this satellite right here". 

f-" -What are you doing here, Anton?
    -I should ask *you* that question. I have a right to be here. You don't.
    -Heh! You almost sound as if you believe that. I committed no murder. You must be disappointed.
     -You've committed *fraud*. Listen, you're in a lot of trouble. I can get you out of here...
     -Do you have any idea what it took to get IN here?"

g-"Jerome Morrow was never meant to be one step down on the podium".

4. What is the moral of this story? What have you learned from it? 

Deadline to turn in your essay: December 18. 

No comments: