Wednesday 23 November 2011

Your poems in Shel Silverstein´s "Whatif" style

Do you remember the poem Whatif we studied in class by Shel Silverstein? Here it is:

"Last night, while I lay thinking here,
Some Whatifs crawled inside my ear
And pranced and partied all night long
And sang their same old Whatif song:
Whatif I'm dumb in school?
Whatif they've closed the swimming pool?
Whatif I get beat up?
Whatif there's poison in my cup?
Whatif I start to cry?
Whatif I get sick and die?
Whatif I flunk that test?
Whatif green hair grows on my chest?
Whatif nobody likes me?
Whatif a bolt of lightning strikes me?
Whatif I don't grow taller?
Whatif my head starts getting smaller?
Whatif the fish won't bite?
Whatif the wind tears up my kite?
Whatif they start a war?
Whatif my parents get divorced?
Whatif the bus is late?
Whatif my teeth don't grow in straight?
Whatif I tear my pants?
Whatif I never learn to dance?
Everything seems well, and then
The nighttime Whatifs strike again!"


I told you  to write your own poems trying to make them rhyme. I´ve chosen several, have a look at them:

"Whatif my hair doesn´t grow?
Whatif I had ten brothers a million years ago?
Whatif I meet a man called Joe?
Whatif I see snow?
Whatif I don´t let the music go?
Whatif I see a TV show?
Whatif I break my toe?
Whatif I do a free throw?

Whatif I can´t count to four
Whatif I break a door?
Whatif I can´t look for?
Whatif I want more?
Whatif I can´t touch the floor?
Whatif I can´t score?
Whatif I can´t explore?"
(by Emanuela G.)

"Whatif in an exam I have a zero,
I won´t be anymore a hero.
Whatif I eat a special flower...
Maybe I will have special powers?

Whatif I go to Portugal?
In fact I will feel very natural".
(by Samuel R.)

"Whatif someone steals my bag?
Whatif my dog bites a cat?
Whatif I enter a cave and I see a bat?

Whatif a dog starts to bark?
Whatif in the school I get a bad mark?
Whatif I can´t go to the park?
Whatif the day quickly gets dark?"
(by Eva B.)

Whatif my skin turns blue?
Whatif my mum gets the flu?
Whatif an animal escapes from the zoo?

Whatif the TV explodes?
Whatif fire gets on my clothes?
Whatif my life stops?

Whatif I don´t have any friends?
Whatif my armpit smells?
Whatif everything ends?
(by Paula J.).  

Relax, Paula. I´m sure your armpit will never smell. Good work!!


No comments: